Monday, December 3, 2012

O' Christmas Tree

Photobucket

Last year I was tooling around a local antique gallery and fell in love with some reclaimed wood trees that some vendors had made.  About a month ago I found some old painted wood boards at the Flowery Branch Auction and snatched them up.  This year I would make my very own tree to add to my Christmas Mantle display.

Photobucket

I started with these boards, laying them out on the floor.  They were pretty dirty so I had to clean them up a bit.  Then I used a straight edge and drew diagonal pencil lines down the sides where I wanted to cut the boards.  I recruited hubby to do the cutting for me since I'm not exactly a whiz with the power tools.  He was a sweetie and used wood glue to attach the painted boards to a vertical plank we had in the garage.

Up on the mantle it went, but it was balancing on the "trunk".  A few days went by and then we heard a loud crash.  The tree had tumbled off the mantle and was laying in pieces on the floor.  I decided to go ahead and nail the planks on and added a base to the bottom so it wouldn't tumble down again.

Photobucket

Photobucket

I love the end result - it's exactly what I had pictured in my mind.  A great rustic addition to my mantle display!

XOXO

Photobucket

Linking Up To:

8 comments:

  1. Jenn, the tree came out really cute!! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it!
    Found you through Coastal Charm

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jennifer,
    Thanks for sharing this neat Christmas tree..It will be featured at my party next week.

    Blessings,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the way it turned out. I will be looking for something similar! Dianntha

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this-fantastic! Pinning! (Here from TT&J!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. i love your tree and have high hopes to throw together one of my own!

    hope you will find a moment to stop by and enter a giveaway i am hosting for followers (i hope you win!:
    http://hellolovelyinc.blogspot.com/2012/12/personalized-lovely-giveaway.html

    happy weekend to you!

    michele

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very cute! I would love for you to share this or any of your great ideas at the link party going on now (and every Saturday - Tuesday) at 'Or so she says ...' Hope to see you there! www.oneshetwoshe.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so beautiful! I love it. I have a soft spot for reclaimed wood and I adore this tree you made. Pinning it :)

    ReplyDelete