Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Ruffle Butt Onesie and Matching Hat

I have been so excited to share this project, you seriously have no idea!  I was going to wait to post it until tomorrow, but, as you know - when it comes to good surprises - I can't keep a secret!!  This was my first real sewing project, and it took me hours to do (only because I had no clue what I was doing and kept having to redo seams and stuff).  For someone who knows how to sew, it would probably take 20 minutes.  :o)

The Allstar teams (shout out to the Riptides!!) that my sister coaches wear navy, purple and gold uniforms.  So, as a gift, I made a ruffle butt onesie and matching hat for little Brooklyn to wear to their practices and competitions!

I just started out with a plain white onesie that I purchased at Hobby Lobby, some blue and gold star buttons, blue and gold ruffle trim (I haven't quite mastered making my own ruffles yet), and finally some purple ribbon with white polka dots.  I wanted the back to be the masterpiece, so I just hand-sewed the buttons to the front.




I purchased the hat at Hobby Lobby as well (they must love me there - I think I may be their best customer).  Then I wound the gold trim to make a flower, and sewed the star button to the front and ribbon to the back.  I heat sealed the ribbon with a lighter to prevent fraying.



And finally....wait for it......... 



Isn't it too cute??  I cut the trim to fit, and then had to roll the sides under and create a seam at the edges since the trim was unfinished.  This is the part that took me forever!  I kept jamming the machine, LOL.


I added the bow and star, and voila!!


She loved the onesie! I love it too - I can't wait to see little Brooklyn in it!!!

Oh yeah - forgot to tell you.  We got the kitchen table stained yesterday and it looks great!!  I'll be painting the chairs today.  I am hoping to be able to post it all by the end of the week.

Till tomorrow - I have one more gift to share!  

Linking Up To:











Creative Share Wednesday at the Trendy Treehouse



Transformation Thursday


Stuff and Nonsense


Weekend Bloggy Reading

Tatertots and Jello Weekend Wrap Up Party

Tip Junkie handmade projects

7 comments:

  1. Super cute. Love your ideas for this onesie. I make tons of onesies for my daughter-in-law's boutique. I would love to add this to my idea list. Visit me at www.oxfordimpressions.blogspot.com and click on Sewing Projects under my Labels and see my onesie ideas if decide you like making different types of them !

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is beautiful Jen!! It is amazing how just a little embellishment transforms something plain to something just so sweet!! Thanks for linking up!
    Cheers!
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  3. very fun. glad I found your blog!

    kathryn
    www.thedragonsfairytail.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. that is so adorable!! what a great idea! looks great for your first sewing project-bet she looks adorable in it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know you already saw your feature, but I wanted to say thank you for linking up. This was such a precious little outfit!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is the cutest thing I've ever seen.

    ReplyDelete