Friday, September 9, 2011

Paint Chip Fall Garland


 I have been dying to make something out of paint chips - ANYTHING!!  I got my shot in the bootie when I found out that there was a contest to come up with a make-and-take for the Southern B.L.O.G.S. conference.  The winner will receive a free trip, and I couldn't pass that opportunity up!!  I am dying to attend this event - there are so many great bloggers in the south - lots of ladies I have been dying to meet in person!!  This event just looks like so much fun!!  This was the best time for me to come up with an idea for the contest, as well as some cute fun fall decor for my mantle. 

I started by going over to Home Depot and basically clearing out their orange and green paint chips.  I had no clue what size I was going to need, so I grabbed a ton of every size.  I felt like I was stealing - I grabbed a stack, and shoved it in my purse, moved on to the next section and repeat.  I felt like I was going to get busted by the guy behind the paint counter!

Once I got home, I messed around a bit and decided to go with the largest of the bunch - the Behr Premium Plus Ultra Chips.  These are the supplies I used:


Choose any shade of orange you like - I went with two coordinating shades - I knew I wanted to alternate them in my pumpkin to add dimension.  I also grabbed a few green to make my pumpkin leaves.  Also needed are:  Twine, leaf punch, brads and a hole punch (not shown here, but I ised my trusty cropodile).

The next step is to cut 1/2" strips of the chips - you should get six from each color chip, but you'll only need 3 of each for each pumpkin.


Next. I stacked them together, alternating colors, and punched a hole in the center, top and bottom,  If you can, try punching them while stacked so the holes line up.


Then, with your leaf punch, punch two leaves out of the green, and punch a hole through the center of those.  (if you don't have a leaf punch, you could just draw some freehand and cut them out).  


Once that is done, layer the leaves on the center hole of the strips, and secure with a brad.


Fan out the strips, and turn it over.  From there, start pulling together the strips - from each opposite end.  Go around and secure with a brad.


Finally - you are left with these cutie pumpkins!




I just strung them with twine, and tied a knot as I went to hold the pumpkins in place.  Here's the finished product!!







Hope you liked it!!  The pumpkins would also be cute to toss in a bowl on display.  Voting opens tomorrow - so head over to Southern B.L.O.G.S. tomorrow to vote for my project!!!!  Wish me luck - I hope I win!!!


XOXO


This Project was Featured at




Linking Up To These Fabulous Parties:







 The DIY Show Off
 

17 comments:

  1. These are so adorable! I would love you to come link up at my "BFF Open House" link party going on now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great Jen, I loved that you used paint chips...xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adorable and clever! Love the use of the paint chips!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cute! This is the first one I have seen done with paint chips. I'm a new follower. I hope you'll stop by!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome idea! Love how you used the paint chips!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sweet! There's a commercial on tv where animated paint chips morph themselves into interesting things... you made it come to life :)

    ~ Lisa @ Allergy Free Vintage Cookery

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very cute, but perhaps using cardstock or scrapbook paper would be better than stealing paint chips.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Jenn. These are just adorable. I had made an Christmas ornament similiar to this a year or so ago. I like this tutorial better with the brads and paint chips. Brilliant!

    Thanks for sharing. Hugs...Tracy :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is absolutely adorable! And I just happen to be going to Lowe's tomorrow with my Mom, I'll have to make a note to stop by the paint department. Thanks for such a great idea and good luck with the contest!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just wanted to let you know I featured this as part of my link party wrap up! Come grab a featured button from my sidebar if you like and hope to see you again this week !

    ReplyDelete
  11. hey cute jen! you'll be featured at tonight's linky party, fyi. so cute! thanks for partyin with us!

    xoxo, the twins

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very clever and adorable, I wish you luck Jen, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for linking up to The "Autumn Décor" Talent Scouting Party at WhisperWood Cottage! Your paint chip pumpkins are fabulous!

    ReplyDelete