Monday, February 20, 2012

My Coveted Electrical Spool Table

Coveted, you ask?  Um yes.  That would be... coveted by moi.  Ever since we (meaning hubby) finished this project for the nursery, I keep going into that room to stare at it.  I am, to say the least. a might bit obsessed with it!  To think of where it started, and how it turned out - it just makes me giddy.  When did I become such a total dork?

Let me tell you the story of this table.  About seven months ago or so, I got a call from my friend Ginger from The Savvy Shanty.  She was out yard saleing and came across a bunch of wooden electrical spools sitting next to a dumpster on the side of the road.  "Do you want one?" she asked.  My response I believe was "What in the heck are we going to do with those?"  Trusting her judgement, I hopped in the car and drove over to meet her to put these ugly, Georgia red clay covered, spools in the back of her SUV.

I totally forgot to take a before picture - but it looked something like this (except red and mineral covered from the clay):



Once the thing was in my garage, I knew the backlash I was going to get from hubby.  We already had like 7 wood pallets sitting in there - he was not going to be happy that I was cluttering his space with even more roadside trash.  I was right, but he let me keep it - even though I had no clue what I was going to do with it.

No clue, until Ginger sent me a link to this table she found.


It was like angels started singing to me.  It was perfect for the nursery!  Jackpot.  I needed this table.  Now, every time I walked past that spool in the garage I stared at in in glorious wonderment - it was going to be perfect.

This is where hubby comes in.  I can't take any of the credit for making this table.  It wasn't my idea, and, other than printing out the directions and handing them to hubby, I kind of had nothing to do with the final outcome.  He pressure washed it, sanded it, inserted the dowel rods, painted it, attached the casters to the bottom and even carried it upstairs to the nursery.  He did a AMAZING job on it.

Here it is, the final project.  I. AM. IN. LOVE.




One more piece of the room complete!  This weekend, I shopped for frames to make a gallery for above the crib.  I designed a bunch of artwork too, and we hung everything up yesterday,  I'll share some of those tomorrow.  Hubby spent the weekend making open shelving for above the dresser (similar to the shelves in my office).  Those should be hung soon - can't wait!!  All that's left after that is to hang the curtains (which should be arriving this week), and to order the bedding!  Wahoo!  Can't wait!!

Have a wonderful Monday!

XOXO

13 comments:

  1. Loveeeeeee it!! Now that's awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a creative idea. I would love for you to link up at my linky party via: ourdelightfulhome.blogspot.com

    Mrs. Delightful
    ourdelightfulhome.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so dang cute! I have to feature this next week! Thanks for linking up at Trendy Treehouse!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. yours looks so cute! i love it. good job! (to you and your hubby!)

    i would love for you to link this or any other amazing project you might have to my creativity party going on right now:

    http://letbirdzfly.blogspot.com/2012/02/exodus-35-creativity-party-21.html

    thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is amazing! I love all of the ideas on your blog! If you have a minute I'd love for you to check out bringingbeauty.blogspot.com

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow great job on this I must find one for myself. Were getting ready to redo the boys room and I think this would be a great addition. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well done my friend...it looks great...love the wall art display too...super cute...hope you're keeping well...xo
    Lu

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love it too, great job. I did see that image and fell in love with it. Great to see your fabulous effort. Well done! I am so excited to find and follow new special places. I have no doubt I will enjoy engaging and supporting this wonderful space you have created. Thank you for sharing, I am so glad to meet you. I hope you will find some time to come visit me soon. Cheers SpecialK XoXo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for linking up...this is being featured today at {Junk in their Trunk}

    ReplyDelete
  10. So creative. What a great. Idea. I want one for my nursery!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. love it! I would love to feature it, if that would be ok with you please let me know,
    lauren

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure if you caught the feature you can see it here,
      lauren
      and thanks again for letting me show your work

      http://westfurniturerevival.blogspot.com/2013/06/revival-monday-116.html

      Delete